1. The level of competition is getting better each year. There are too many good players to even mention. Hardly anyone at these seems to be just getting by. I think in the future we will be seeing more of the so-called groups of death and more early upsets. I’d like to thank all the people who read my blog and said it helped them. Also all the people who treated me as if I was a hollywood movie star (I never took so many pictures in my life and it was fun). You guys are awesome and I can’t wait till the next tourney. My only regret is that I’ve become so popular and there are so many people its harder to remember the names.
2. Running and using the offset playbook continues to bring huge rewards to these tourneys. I’m still a run and shoot guy but it seems that in live competition these books are producing high results. It just sucks I can’t pass from those formations and I suck at the running plays. It just seems that you need better players to contain these runs than run and shoot runs. As I learned in my last game. Or perhaps this is my Achilles heel.
3. Underestimating anyone or any team is bad for your health. I think the matchups need to be kept pretty close to the vest. A team having a lot of good drones like Dallas, Saints and San Diego has a lot more value in the live game. As mentioned before the skill level to compete with anyone can be acquired quite quickly. Which means soon I expect almost every game to be a dog fight.
4. I think the biggest is making decisive decisions. Come in with a strategy and stick with it. If you have a gut feeling go with it. I had one on a 3rd and goal with 5 second and went for the win. It barely worked but it worked. I think the same guys are winning because they have better Tecmo decision-making skills.
5. The luck factor is the same as always. Bad luck happens and you must learn to minimize your risks.
6. We need to do more non tourney live events. Set up night was just as good as game day. I met a lot of people and got in as many games in 3 hours I did all day saturday. Tourney’s are great but let’s just get together play and drink. Tear up some random town for a couple of nights and all walk home really happy.
7. That being said try to make a tourney or another one if you can. No reason why we can’t do this 4-8 times a year. There is nothing like a live game day and the bigger the event the more fun. Check out tecmobowl.org for events. I’m having one in Buffalo on april 20th and we would love to see a lot of you make it.